Meeting Minutes: Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Date/time:
Wednesday, September 21, 2016 Started: 6:00 PM Ended: 7:30 PM
Location:
Rescue 8
Purpose/notes:
Regular scheduled meeting
Chaired by:
VbRescueCouncil President
Minuted rec. by:
Kevin Lipscomb
Status:
Minutes approved

Attendance

Present:
Chief Ed Brazle, Debbie Coley-Mills, David Coulling, Chris Florio, Nancy Gregory, Tom Harp, Bobby Hill, Jay Kerr, Ed Leonard, Kevin Lipscomb, VbRescueCouncil President, Jim Rose, VbRescueCouncil Secretary, Deputy Chief Jason Stroud, VbRescueCouncil Treasurer, VbRescueCouncil VicePresident, Bill Walker
Absent:
Julie Barnes, Mike Bradberry, Chris Daly, Joan Davis, Richard Doub, Chris Dozier, Eric Hoyt, Bob Jasinowski, Debi Leonard, John Ormond, Megan Richardson, Erica Waldron
Invited guests:
Diane Ball (Absent), John Doub (Absent), Kevin Gutermuth (Absent), David Keeler (present), Michael Rahuba (Absent), Joel Rubin (present), Kitty Schaum (present)

Meeting documents

None

Agenda

1. Call to order

1.A. Attendance

Status: Completed

1.B. Approve Minutes of Last Meeting

Status: Completed

1.C. Department of EMS report, Q&A

Chief Brazle emphasized a few items that are otherwise being promulgated, and had to excuse himself to make opening comments at the VAVRS Convention.

Status: Completed

1.D. Kitty Schaum

Kitty wishes to discuss Squad donation acknowledgments

Kitty discussed the need for squads to acknowledge donations greater than $250 (so that donors can comply with IRS regulations), and the recommendation to acknowledge all donations.

President Harp suggested that donation acknowledgement be the topic of the next meeing's Best Practices session.

Status: Completed

1.E. Joel Rubin PResentation

Joel will be presenting a plan to organize a "Rock the Squads" event.

  • Idea involves making a massive showing of volunteers at Mt Trashmore, taking a lot of photos (including from a drone), doing some informal interviews to give to media outlets and to use for P.R. events.
  • Live performance from a band.
  • Squads should have static displays.
  • TENTATIVELY MAY 7TH.

The squad reps expressed strong support and made several good suggestions to Mr. Rubin.

Status: Completed

1.F. President's report

  • Quarterly meetings between the RC President, VP, and the EMS Chief have been re-established.

Status: Completed

1.G. Treasurer's report

ACCEPTED.

Status: Completed

1.H. Coordinator reports

Status: Completed

1.H.1. Foundation Recruitment Coordinator

  • Bobby has met with Division Chief Nedelka twice.  The understanding is that recruitment is in the Foundation's Area Of Responsibility (AOR); retention is in the EMS Dept's AOR.
  • There will be a recruitment opportunity at Home Depot at Lynnhaven & Princess Anne on Oct 1st 9a-1p.

Status: Completed

1.H.2. BLS Academy Luncheon Coordinator

President Harp is aware that the program needs to be revisited because the format of the BLS Academy has changed substantially.

Status: Completed

1.H.3. Multi-squad Fund Drive Coordinator

Katherine Taylor is the main coordinator for the upcoming cycle.  The committee held the kick-off meeting for the Fall cycle last week.

Status: Completed

1.H.4. Ambient Carbon Monoxide Detector Coordinator

Status: Completed

1.H.5. Recruitment Coordinator

Status: Completed

1.H.6. Explorer Post Liaison

Status: Completed

1.I. Best Practices: Procurement of supplies

  • R01: Boundtree (~85%), Penncare (~15%), a-la-carte
  • R02: DocsDirect (Sentara)
  • R04: Boundtree/DocsDirect
  • R05: Boundtree, fire logistics
  • R06: Boundtree
  • R09: Boundtree, a-la-carte
  • R14: DocsDirect, Boundtree
  • R16: Boundtree primarily, MMS, Physio-Control & other direct buys using city contract, fire logistics
  • R17: Boundtree?
  • DEMS: Boundtree on contract w/30% discount on many common items

Support was voiced for:

  • "Speed-loading" and using RFID technology to improve supply management
  • Standing up a "Supply Council" composed of squad supply officers, to pick a liaison to Rescue Council and to Division Chief Lipscomb.

Status: Completed

1.J. Next BEST PRACTICES discussion

Procurement of supplies

Donation acknowledgements

Status: Parked

2. Unfinished business

3. New business

3.A. MOTION TO..

Endorse having Bill Walker continue in his position for the normal duration of his current term.

PASSED.

Status: Parked

3.B. ELECTION TO FILL VACANT POSITION OF SECRETARY

Jay Kerr was nominated, he accepted, and was ELECTED as Secretary.

Status: Parked

3.C. ELECTION TO FILL VACANT POSITION OF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBER-AT-LARGE

Dave Coulling was nominated, he accepted, and was ELECTED as Executive Committee Member-At-Large.

Status: Parked

3.D. VBRSF-RC Grant Submission

Decide whether RC will apply for a grant to purchase new CO Monitors this coming year.

MOTION TO After checking inventory, if we do not have enough CO Monitors to do the replacements in 2017, then apply for the number that we need.

APROVED.

Status: Completed

4. Closing business

4.A. Station reports

RO1 has developed an Observer Packet that includes several good resources for making observer shifts more effective.  Rescue Council voiced support for expanding the concept to the other squads.

MRT presented an activity report.

Status: Completed

4.B. Date Next Meeting

Status: Completed

4.C. Consistency in handling special events

The Department only supports handling special event coverage deals in one consistent way.  It will address any current exceptions.

Status: Parked

4.D. Activation of Budget Committee

Treasurer Walker as Chair, Ed Leonard, Dave Coulling, and Chris Florio as members.

Status: Parked

Follow us


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+